Skip to main content

Health, recovery, wellbeing & dementia

In this section you can find national and local voluntary organisations that are dedicated to specific conditions, local community groups, health and well-being schemes and other projects that offer help and support for specific health conditions, behaviours or impairments. You will also find information about social activities, hobbies, entertainment, trips, holidays and sports. 

There are links to advice and resources to help you better manage your own health and social needs:

  • Look for a GP, dentist, optician or pharmacist near you.
  • Find information and advice on many conditions from organisations covering, for example, neurological conditions; eating disorders; chronic pain; diabetes; asthma; drugs; alcohol; dystonia; encephalitis; cancer; sexual health; meningitis; eczema; mental ill health; learning disability; sight loss.
  • Look at lifestyle changes. There's support to help you:
    • improve your fitness
    • stop smoking
    • eat healthily
    • lose weight
    • reduce stress or anxiety
    • reduce drug and alcohol consumption.
  • Find out about all the clubs and groups that will keep you active, from rambling and rugby to gardening and golf; from tai chi to tennis and swimming to sequence dancing.
  • If you're disabled, there are organisations offering sporting activities for disabled adults and children.
  • Are you an older person who wants to learn a language, or join a book club, or keep fit, or meet other older people for a chat, something to eat and a game of cards or dominoes?
  • If you want to socialise with other people with a physical or visual impairment or a learning disability, or other people in the gay and lesbian community, or other single parents, you'll find local social and support groups for you.
  • Veterans of the armed forces and their families have their own clubs too.
  • If you want a break, there are organisations specialising in holidays for people with physical or sensory impairments, or learning disability

GP surgeries & Out of Hours

To find a list of GP Practices or Surgeries in North East Lincolnshire, simply search 'GP' on the home page of this website. Once the results are displayed you can select to show them on a map to find your nearest practice. You can find guidance on how to do this within the Video Tutorials section.

iI you need urgent out of hours GP Support please contact the below:


A dedicated Dementia Portal has been created wthin this website to provide you with tailored and filtered information.

Herbert Protocol

Nothing is more worrying or distressing than when a loved one or friend goes missing or doesn’t return home when expected. For people living with or caring for someone with Dementia, this may be quite common.

The Herbert Protocol is a national scheme adopted by Humberside Police and other police services across the country. It encourages carers, families, friends or neighbours, to hold information about the person with Dementia that can help the police find them if they do go missing.

WEBSITE - Humberside Police

Drug & Alcohol Support

Mental health & out of hours

Mental Health Single Point of Access - 01472 256256 - option 3

Mental Health Services commissioned through NELCCG include

The Supported Living for Mental Health providers are

Access to Advocacy free of charge in NEL

Understanding Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) for people who use services

Social Care for Excellence (scie)

Residential and Nursing Homes commissioned for Mental Health

Your main local provider of Mental Health services is NAViGO. Please see below information to make contact for this service.

Dental & out of hours

The following number is set up for you to be able to book an emergency dental appointment, you can do this by calling 01472 344844.

To find a list of dentists in North East Lincolnshire simply search 'dentists' in the directory. You can find guidance on how to do this within the Video Tutorials section.

If you need a mobile dentist please see below:

Opticians / mobile

To find a list of Opticians in North East Lincolnshire search 'opticians' in the directory. You can find guidance on how to do this within the Video Tutorials section. For a unique mobile optician please see below.

Chiropodists and Podiatrists

If you need a Toenail cutting service please see below. A local Chiropodist is in the Centre all day every Tuesday and Wednesday morning. 

  • Community Podiatry - Scartho Medical Centre 01472 279687

Falls rehabilitation and respiratory service


If you are already under the care of a District Nurse then you should speak to your district nursing team about being referred to the Continence Team for an assessment. If you are not under the care of a District Nurse then you can contact the Continence Team for advice directly – 01472 256702, or discuss with your GP. The continence team will offer advice accordingly and arrange an appointment at the continence clinic if relevant. The Continence Team AIM TO IMPROVE not cure. 

There are lots of different types of continence Aids and Protection – these can be purchased privately from several places:


If you require a commode please speak to your District Nurse or GP Surgery. Alternatively you can purchase private.

Problems with emptying a commode?

If you have problems emptying a commode, Commode Liners may help – they are sealable commode liners that fit over any commode bucket or potty to make disposing of waste easier.

Long term health conditions (Continuing Healthcare)

Continuing Health Care

NHS Continuing Healthcare, known as CHC funded care is ‘an ongoing package of health and/or social care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS.

Where an individual is aged 18 years or older and is found to have a ‘primary health need’ as a result of disability, accident or illness, they can be considered for CHC funding. The care can be provided in the person’s own home, residential or nursing home or other specialist care setting.

Eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare and how we work locally is guided by the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare NHS –funded Nursing Care Nov 2012 revised

North East Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning group (NELCCG) are responsible for the provision of a nursing assessment team, they deliver assessment and review functions for individuals either awaiting assessment or in receipt of CHC funding


Who are these services for?

CHC services are for people who, because of a primary health need, are eligible for NHS CHC. This includes all adults 18 and over who may have complex physical disabilities, learning disabilities and/or complex emotional and psychological needs. Continuing Healthcare is not based on a particular diagnosis but on the needs which arise from a diagnosis. To determine a person’s needs a comprehensive health needs assessment is completed by multi-disciplinary health and social care professionals, using the national tools set out by the Department of Health.


NHS-funded Nursing Care

This is funding provided by the NHS to care homes that are providing care by a registered nurse. Since 2007 NHS-funded nursing care has been based on a single band rate. In all cases individuals should be considered for NHS Continuing Healthcare before a decision is reached about the need for NHS-funded Nursing Care. This is paid directly to the care home.


Personal Health Budgets

From October 2014 anyone eligible for CHC wanting to have their care provided outside of a care home setting, will be able to apply for a Personal Health Budget.  This is money paid in the form of a direct payment to pay for CHC eligible needs.  Personal Health Budgets enable individuals greater choice and flexibility and control about who provides their care and support and how it is delivered. A Personal Health Care Budget can be discussed in detail with the Nurse Assessor responsible for your assessment.


Where is NHS continuing healthcare provided?

If you are eligible, you can receive NHS continuing healthcare in any setting, for example:

  • in your own home – the NHS will pay for healthcare, such as services from a community nurse or specialist therapist, and personal care, such as help with bathing, dressing and laundry
  • in a care home – as well as healthcare and personal care, the NHS will pay for your care home fees, including board and accommodation

NHS continuing healthcare is free, unlike social and community care services provided by local authorities. You may be charged for these depending on your income and savings.


Who is eligible for NHS continuing healthcare?

To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare you must be over 18 and have a complex medical condition and substantial and ongoing care needs. You must have a “primary health need”, which means that your main or primary need for care must relate to your health.

Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare does not depend on:

  • a specific health condition, illness or diagnosis
  • who provides the care, or
  • where the care is provided

If you have a disability or if you’ve been diagnosed with a long-term illness or condition, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare.

To find out whether you are eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your care needs will be assessed. For more information, see How will my eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare be assessed?


What if my care needs change?

Your eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare will be reviewed regularly. If your care needs change, the funding arrangements may also change. For more information, see When will my needs for continuing care be reviewed?

Read the answers to more questions about caring, carers and long-term conditions.


Further information:

What if I need equipment or support to recover at home?

The Core Rehabilitation Team comprises of two of the range of Allied Health Profession (AHP) Services, specifically Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy. Core Rehabilitation services comprise of staff employed by Care Plus Group and Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust working in partnership.

If you are requesting an Occupational Therapy Assessment, please contact Single Point of Access Tel 01472 256256.

The Assisted Living Centre

The centre provides advice and information for people who require equipment and support at home to be able to maintain their independence.

People can get advice on a range of equipment available to help them at home including wheelchairs, hoists, walking frames and even home adaptations including stair lifts.

The community equipment store is based in the centre, where many of these items are loaned out from. It also has a demonstration area featuring a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and lounge, where people can see how equipment that could help them at home works. There are also clinic rooms, a wheelchair services workshop and a podiatry lab on-site as well.

The centre is open Monday to Friday, from 10am to 6pm (with last entry at 5.30pm), and Saturday’s 10am to 4pm (last entry 3.30pm).

Parking spaces are available for patients and visitors to the centre and are directly outside the building.


From Second Avenue: Pedestrians can access the centre from Second Avenue via the gated path running alongside the Grimsby Grange Care Home.

From the hospital: Pedestrians and drivers can access the Assisted Living Centre by following the path/road immediately behind the Gardens/Rharian Fields, Navigo Buildings.

Contact us

Assisted Living Centre

Kingsley Grove

Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital


(01472) 875592


The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is an opportunity for you to let us know what it’s like to receive NHS services as a patient, relative or friend.  It offers you the chance to provide comments, compliments or raise concerns about the services you have received and helps the Trust to ensure that high quality, responsive services are available.

PALS is a free, confidential service available to offer help, advice and information on NHS services and is designed to help patients, carers and staff get the best out of what the NHS has to offer.
North East Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has a dedicated PALS team dealing with matters relating to Primary Care Services in the local area. These include those NHS services offered from your GP Practice, Dental Surgery, Pharmacies (chemists) and Opticians and all Adult Social Care Services.


NHS Choices

Please rate this information/advice on this page

Back to top