Skip to main content

Keeping people safe

If you wish to make a new safeguarding adults referral you should call 01472 256 256.

Report neglect or abuse (Safeguarding Adults)

All adults (aged 18 years and over) should be able to live free from harm and abuse, and have their rights and choices respected.

The Care Act 2014 has made Safeguarding Adults a statutory duty and requires Local Authorities to do a number things to make sure that people who may be more vulnerable are protected from abuse. These include:

  • Setting up a Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) (Section 43 – The Care Act 2014) and making sure that membership includes the Local Authority, Health, and the Police as a minimum.  The SAB must also publish a plan, and an annual report.
  • The SAB must also have a process in place for deciding when to undertake a Safeguarding Adults Review (SAR) (Section 44 – The Care Act 2014) [formerly known as a Serious Case Review], in certain circumstances when someone may have been seriously harmed or died.  The Care Act states that where this kind of review takes place – that everyone must supply any relevant information to the SAB in order that it may undertake it’s work (Section 45 – Care Act 2014)

The Local Authority must also make enquiries or cause them to be made (Section 42 – The Care Act 2014) where an adult:

  • has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs) and;
  • is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect; and
  • as a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect.

Abuse may include instances of: Physical abuse, Domestic Violence, Sexual abuse, Psychological abuse, Financial or material abuse, Modern Slavery, Discriminatory abuse, Organisational abuse, neglect and acts of omission, self neglect.

The person carrying out the abuse could be a relative, a partner, someone paid to provide care and services or even a volunteer, a neighbour, a friend or a stranger.  Often the person carrying out the abuse is someone close to the adult and could be someone who is loved and trusted by them.

Sometimes people can abuse without actually knowing it; where they may think they are caring for someone, but may not know how to do it properly or some people will deliberately abuse adults they see as an easy target. Abuse can be accidental or a deliberate act, either way advice is available.

All you need to do is share your concerns with us – your call could make a difference.


In North East Lincolnshire, the Safeguarding Adults Team at focus Independent Adult Social Care undertake the duties outlined by Section 42 of the Care Act 2014 on behalf of North East Lincolnshire Council.

To undertake this role we have established a multi-disciplinary team of professionals with a wide range of experience across the health and social care sector. The team operate a duty system for the screening of referrals and the initiation of any enquiries that need to take place. The team also take part in and/or co-ordinate any subsequent statutory or non statutory safeguarding enquiries that take place. The Safeguarding Adults Team operates within the multi-agency safeguarding partnership that is well established within North East Lincolnshire.  The primary function of the Safeguarding Adults Team is to provide a response to allegations of abuse in line with Section 42 of the Care Act 2014.


If you are a member of public we would ask you to contact us by telephoning 01472 256 256 to discuss your concerns.

Support for people lacking capacity (Mental Capacity Act)


The Mental Capacity Act is designed to protect people who can’t make decisions for themselves or lack the mental capacity to do so. This could be due to a mental health condition, severe learning difficulty, a brain injury, a stroke or unconsciousness due to an anaesthetic or sudden accident. Under the Mental Capacity Act, a person is presumed to have capacity to make their own decisions “unless all practical steps to help him (or her) to make a decision have been taken without success”.


  • To protect vulnerable adults who lack capacity to make decisions for themselves
  • To support health & social care staff in navigating their way around the Mental Capacity Act 2005
  • To incorporate the five principles of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 into practice

Principles of the Mental Capacity Act 2005

When assessing capacity:

  1. A person must not be assumed to lack capacity UNLESS it is proved otherwise
  2. Until all practical steps have been taken to help someone make a decision without success they cannot be treated as lacking capacity
  3. An unwise decision does NOT in itself indicate lack of capacity

When acting or making decisions on behalf of someone lacking capacity:

  1. Any act or decision made must be in the person’s best interests
  2. Any act or decision should aim to be the least restrictive option to the person in terms of their rights and freedom of action

Support for people who may be leaving or in Prison

From April 2015, care and support in England is changed for the better. The new Care Act will help make care and support more consistent across the country.

‘Care and support’ is the term we use to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with friends or family.

If you receive care and support, or you support someone as a carer, you could benefit from the changes.

Why does the Care Act mention prisoners?

For prisoners and others who live in approved premises, social care services can support rehabilitation. This can make a big difference to a person’s health, their wellbeing and the likelihood of reoffending, making it much easier for them to rebuild their life after release.

The new Care Act says that if a person meets particular criteria, the prison’s or approved premises’ local authotiry must provide their care and support. Within NEL focus independent adult social work, should be contacted.

What does the Care Act say about care and support for prisoners? 

Just like anyone else, prisoners and people in approved premises who can afford to must pay part or the full cost of their care. If a prisoner receiving care and support moves to another prison, the Care Act will make sure that their support and care continues.

The council may also assess the new or continuing help a person will need when they are released into the community.

Is support for prisoners or people in approved premises different from the help given to those in the community?

  • Most prisoners have less choice about their care arrangements than those outside prison. Also, they cannot receive direct payments for their care and support (although this does not apply to those without convictions, such as certain people on bail).
  • Prisoners may not choose their accommodation except when it is being arranged for after their release.
  • If a prisoner acts as a carer for another prisoner, the Act makes the local council responsible for assessing the carer's own support needs unless their caring work is part of their voluntary or paid job.
  • Councils do not have to protect the property of adults with care and support needs in prison or approved premises.
  • Prisons and approved premises are still responsible for detainees’ safety. This means that the local council’s Safeguarding Adults Boards are not responsible for enquiries or reviews into abuse or neglect of a prisoner with care and support needs. However, Safeguarding Adults Boards can advise and help and assist prison officials when needed. They may also invite prison staff to be Board members. 

Technology to support you at home to stay independent


It is small safe that the keys to your home can be stored in. It has a lock with a unique combination that you can set.

They are for people who have care staff visiting their homes, and who cannot let them in themselves.

There is a wide range of local and national organisations to purchase keysafes from.

Telecare Services

Telecare services can help you to stay safe and remain more independent in your own home.

Telecare is a type of wireless technology that connects equipment in your home to a call centre using your telephone line. There is a range of home equipment, devices and tools such as; wristbands or pendants that you press to alert the call centre if you need help and monitors that can detect falls, or gas, or overflowing water.

Telecare systems are available 24 hours a day, so you can call for help in an emergency at any time of the day or night.

Carelink offers reassurance, through telecare, to individuals who may be vulnerable through illness, disability, isolation, violence or abuse.

Please see below links for more information about Telecare services and the range of solutions available.

Message in a bottle

What is it?

Its a simple idea designed to encourage people to keep their basic personal and medical details on a standard form and in a common location - the fridge!

What does it do?

It saves the Emergency Services valuable time if they need to enter a property in an emergency situation. Not only does it help to identify who you are it also identifies if you have special medication or allergies. It is not only a potential lifesaver, but also it provides peace of mind to you, your friends and family by knowing that prompt medical treatment is provided and that the next of kin and emergency contacts are notified.

Who's it for?

Anyone. Whilst it is focused on the more vulnerable people in a community, anyone can have an accident in the home, so this scheme can benefit anyone.

What does it cost?

When ordering one bottle the scheme is free to the public and is funded usually by your local Lions Club.

Where can I get one?

You may find the bottles displayed in your local GP's surgery, Local Pharmacy, Local Lions Club. If you have any difficulty locating a bottle please contact Lions Clubs Headquarters 0845 833 9502.

Who knows about it?

All Emergency Services are aware of the Message in a Bottle scheme, by displaying the green stickers in your home, the emergency services will locate the bottle in the fridge and use the forms inside to ensure you are treated quickly which can save time and save lives.

What's in the bottle?

A form you fill in with your name, medicines, allergies & relatives contact details. And also two green stickers.

What do I have to do?

Fill in the form, put it in the bottle. Put the bottle in your fridge. Put one green sticker on your fridge door and the other green sticker on the INSIDE of your house door.

Who co-ordinates the Scheme locally?

Your local Lions Club. Many Lions Clubs across the Country take part in this project.

Domestic Violence & Victim Support

CLICK HERE - Domestic Violence support directory entries

Victim Support

Victim Support is part of a national organisation that offers free and confidential support to victims of crime. Trained volunteers and staff offer a listening ear and emotional support and work with other agencies where possible with any practical problems they might have. Victim Support Witness Services also offer information and support to court witnesses and extra support for the more vulnerable.

Victim Support Grimsby 01472 250251


The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is an opportunity for you to let us know what it’s like to receive NHS services as a patient, relative or friend.  It offers you the chance to provide comments, compliments or raise concerns about the services you have received and helps the Trust to ensure that high quality, responsive services are available.

PALS is a free, confidential service available to offer help, advice and information on NHS services and is designed to help patients, carers and staff get the best out of what the NHS has to offer.
North East Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has a dedicated PALS team dealing with matters relating to Primary Care Services in the local area. These include those NHS services offered from your GP Practice, Dental Surgery, Pharmacies (chemists) and Opticians and all Adult Social Care Services.

Please rate this information/advice on this page

Back to top