Skip to main content

Residential Care

North East Lincolnshire makes a charge for the provision of care & support in a care home.  The amount that people pay depends upon their financial circumstances and the charging rules come under the Care Act 2014 regulations and guidance. 

Any care and support charges for care in a care home will be charged from the beginning of the service.  A financial assessment will be carried to ascertain your means to pay if you have under £23,250 in capital.

If you have over £23,250 in capital, you will be classed as a “Self funder” which means that you are responsible for paying for the full cost of your care and support.

You will not be charged for any Health Services.


Financial Assessments 

As soon as your care and support needs have been assessed, someone from our Finance Team will be alerted to carry out an assessment of your financial circumstances.  They will work out what level of contribution you will need to pay.   Charging for care and support in a care home begins from the date your service starts. 

A Financial Assessment Officer will contact you to arrange a suitable visiting time, venue etc.  The assessment should take place at the residential home where you reside or at our offices if this is more convenient.  You may have a member of your family or a friend present if you wish.  Any information will be treated in confidence in accordance with our declaration under the Data Protection Act which is included on the Financial Assessment form.

 You will be asked to disclose details of your financial circumstances in order for a financial assessment to be conducted. You have the right to withhold consent for this disclosure, but if you do so, this will be considered as formally declining your right to be financially assessed and the full cost of the package of care will be charged.


What we will need to see 

It would be helpful if you could have the following information available for the Financial Assessment Officer: 


  • Benefit Award Notification e.g. Pension, Income Support etc.
  • Notification of Private (Occupational) Pension


  • Building Society Books
  • Bank Statements
  • Details of stocks and shares e.g. TESSA, PEP
  • ISA etc.
  • Any other financial investment evidence 

Other assets

  • Information relating to property or land that is owned 

Welfare Benefits

Many people do not claim all of the benefits that they are entitled to.  We are committed to helping people to get their full rights and will offer you a welfare benefits check and help you with any claims that need to be made. This may be by referring you to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) Visiting Team. 

If you would prefer independent advice on benefit entitlement, the Financial Assessment Officer will refer the case, with your permission, to the appropriate agencies or signpost you to the correct area of our information and advice directory.

It is important to notify the DWP if you go into a care home as your benefit entitlement may change.  If you are a spouse left at home, you also need to notify the DWP as you will need to be assessed as a single person in order to obtain your correct benefit entitlement. 

If you own a property, you may be entitled to enter into a Universal Deferred Payment.  If this is the case, your Financial Assessment Officer will give you an advice note detailing the process.


Deprivation of assets

You must not give away any financial resources, or deprive yourself of them in any other way in order to reduce your ability to pay your charges.  If you do so, Adult Social Care may regard these resources as still belonging to you.  If you are in any doubt about your situation you should seek legal advice. You do have the right to seek Independent Financial Advice and a list of local advisors is available on Services4me.  This is not an exhaustive list and it is personal choice as to who an individual uses to deliver this service.

The finance team will be happy to answer any questions and explain the charging policy if there is anything you do not understand.

Top Ups

When you go into a care home you may be asked to pay an additional payment towards your care and support needs.  This is often known as a top up.  Please note that this payment should not cover any of your eligible care and support needs and you should be receiving something extra in order for this payment to be valid.  This could be a room with a view, newspaper etc.  The home should make it clear to you what the top up payment covers and you or a family member will be asked to enter into an affordability and sustainability agreement if you decide to pay the additional payment.  North East Lincolnshire CCG will not take over this top up payment if for any reason it stops being paid and it may result in you having to move into a different care home.  The CCG’s duty is to meet eligible care needs so additional payments will not be paid on your behalf without prior agreement from the CCG.


Frequently asked questions 

Q. What Services do we expect to be charged for?
   A.  We Charge for the following services:
   1. Care & Support in a care home

Q. Does everyone pay the same?

A.  No. What you pay depends on your financial circumstances and services – everyone’s charge is worked out individually after a financial assessment. If you are asked to make a contribution to the cost of your care, your Financial Assessment Officer will inform you of your options.

Q. How will you treat my partner’s income and savings?
A. We will ignore your partner’s income. If you share a joint account or joint ownership of assets with your partner we will only take into account your half share.

Q. Do I have to tell you if my income savings change?
A. Yes as it may affect your charge. If you do not disclose a change it could result in your charge being backdated.

Q. What happens if I refuse to give you information about my finances?
A. We will charge you the full cost of your care if you refuse to tell us about your financial circumstances or do not reply to letters we send you.

Q. Do you take my property off me if I go into a care home?

A. No. If you own a property you may not want to sell this straight away when going into a care home.  The CCG does offer a universal deferred payment scheme, which is a loan that is secured against your home.  This means that you do not have to sell your property straight away.  Further details can be found in the advice note “Universal Deferred Payments”

Q. Can a top up payment be deferred if I enter into a Universal Deferred Payment?

A. No, the deferred payment only covers costs that are in place to meet your eligible care and support needs and does not include top up payments.


Please rate this information/advice on this page

Back to top